Get your game-face on!
At Casino New Brunswick, you’ll find an atmosphere that is a unique mix of friendliness and excitement in a modern entertainment complex, built specifically with comfort and enjoyment in mind. Our employees are inviting, friendly and help convey a sense of fun that’s unique to the Maritimes.
Spanning 24,000 square feet, our Vegas-style casino is a hotbed of excitement. Our facility includes a multi-purpose Entertainment and Convention Centre, as well as a full-service Hotel and Spa.
Every job at Casino New Brunswick is important to the success of our business.
Under the direction of the Executive Chef, the Sous Chef is responsible to assist in leading, coach, motivate and oversee all staff and aspects of the Food & Beverage departmental operations pertaining to the back of house on a daily basis. The Sous Chef will assist in monitoring the back of house departmental budgets and ensure that prudent decisions are made in order ensure operational efficiencies. The work is typified as a full time hands-on Supervisor and includes establishing priorities, developing plans, and ensuring work quality is maintained by staff. The Sous Chef is required to take all necessary precautions to protect the safety and health of workers and ensure that safe work practices are developed and adhered to. Supervision is a large part of the duties of this position and the Sous Chef is required to coordinate the activities of employees doing various tasks within the department.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reports to the Executive Chef
- Participate with the development of departmental annual budgets
- Monitor department budgets and control department expenditures related to labour, food costs and other operational costs during the course of a specified shift
- Assist with the development and implementation of creative menu items for the various foodservice outlets working within prescribed food cost percentage allotments
- Liaise with the Marketing department regarding promotions for the food & beverage department when required
- Plan and conduct pre-shift staff meetings
- Ensure POS - menu costing, and inventory information is current and accurate during prescribed shift
- Assist with maintaining all back of house inventory control levels to meet business volumes
- Assist with the development and implementation of, or modify (existing) department standards, policies and procedures where required
- Monitor employee position objectives along with encouraging employee development
- Participate in recruitment process for kitchen employees when required
- Resolve department issues, providing guidance and direction to employees to ensure a positive morale and motivation of all employees is sustained at all times
- Assist with the development of effective and efficient staff schedules to meet the requirements of business fluctuations, company and staff needs
- The incumbent is responsible for collecting, maintaining, storing and securing employee field files
- Ensure all NBLGC, Casino New Brunswick and other provincial or federally mandated laws, policies and procedures are stringently enforced at all times
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with all food and beverage staff and customers alike.
- Ensure daily pre-shift meetings are held with food and beverage staff members
- Maintain a visible presence to guests and staff, model effective approaches and communications in the area of customer and staff relations
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- The incumbent is required to possess a Red Seal certificate along with 4-5 years experience in a progressive supervisory capacity of a large volume foodservice operation. A Post Secondary education in a recognized Hospitality or Culinary Management program is required. Training in Outlook Express, PowerPoint, Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) is required.
- The incumbent will have ongoing experience in a kitchen supervisory position with practical hands on knowledge and experience in all facets of the Food & Beverage operations. Specific Casino food and beverage operational experience would be an asset with an understanding of menu design, inventory control and food cost practices and procedures. Additionally, high volume banquet plated and buffet service and hotel restaurant service would be required experience. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required in order to promote, maintain and deliver impeccable service standards at all times. Proven experience in leading, motivating and scheduling a large team of kitchen employees is also required.
Knowledge/Skills and Abilities:
- The skill requirements for this position include customer service, teamwork and cooperation, communication, self-development and initiative, valuing diversity, integrity and building trust, achieving quality results, technical/professional knowledge. These competencies are deemed important for the success of the position and Casino New Brunswick.
- Work to create customer-focused service & solutions
- Working effectively to accomplish organizational goals; taking action that respects the needs and contributions of others, contributing to and supporting consensus
- Expressing ideas and listening effectively, both verbally and non-verbally, to achieve understanding. Sharing information; giving feedback. Expressing ideas clearly and concisely in documents that have organization, structure, grammar, language and terminology adjusted to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
- Self-starting; seeking out and/or willingly accepting assignments, responsibilities and challenges.
- Respecting diversity for the benefits of individual employees, the organization and the community as a whole.
- Demonstrating integrity in all decisions, communication and actions; modeling the values of the organization in the conduct of all business activities.
- Achieving an appropriate level of technical skills and knowledge in position related areas: Keeping abreast of current development, organizational policies, and trends in the area of expertise.
Casino New/Nouveau-Brunswick offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. A ground-floor opportunity to build your skills in an interesting and challenging environment.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.